Saturday, April 09, 2011

Day 09 - A song that you can dance to: Get On Up, The Esquires


by Dick Mac

The 30 Day Song Challenge has been presented to me by my friend Beff. The month of April will be dedicated to those thirty songs.

I am fortunate to have my birthday in February. While growing-up in New England, people were always looking for something to do during the coldest part of the Winter; and my birthday has always been a good reason for a party when the weather is miserable.

At my 10th birthday party, I received three records (45s, 7" singles): "I Say A Little Prayer," by Dionne Warwick, "Funky Broadway," by Wilson Pickett, and "Get On Up," by The Esquires. All of them had been released months earlier, but I wasn't one, at that time, to get records just as they were released.

I had those records for years, and played them until they couldn't play anymore.

In the mid-1980s I scoured the used record stores in Boston until I found a replacement for "Get On Up," one of my favorite songs to this day.

How can you sit yourself down for a rest, when you know that I'm trying my best to dance with you, girl!

Enjoy!






No comments: