Sunday, April 10, 2011

Day 10 - A Song That Makes You Sleepy: Little Girl Blue, by any singer

by Dick Mac

The 30 Day Song Challenge has been presented to me by my friend Beff. The month of April will be dedicated to those thirty songs.

When my daughter was an infant, she would only fall asleep while being held and walked around the apartment.

Until she was five years old, I would sing to her before sleep each night. The song list was always the same: "Golden Slumbers," "Little Girl Blue," "Summertime," and "Space Oddity." By the end, one of us would be asleep. If I had to keep going, I would add I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry.

Five years of repeated behavior leads to new habits, so sometimes when I hear the songs, I get sleepy. I guess it's the power of suggestion.

I was turned on to this song when I first heard Janis Joplin's album "I Got Dem Ol' Kozmic Blues Again Mama!" in the late 1960s.

It didn't take long for me to amass a dozen or more versions of Little Girl Blue, adn I like all of them. Here's Nina Simone singing it:





No comments: