Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Om Kalsoum - Wa Daret Alayyam (And The Days Have Gone By) - Music Video

by Dick Mac

I was introduced to the music of Om Kalsoum in the mid-1970s, shortly after her death. Like so many before me, I was mesmerized by her voice and singing style. I understood nothing of the lyrics, sung in Arabic, but I was (and still am) able to listen to her sing for hours.

Born in Cairo, Egypt, sometime around 1900, she rose to become the greatest Egyptian singer of all time.

Her concerts could last from 20 minutes to an hour and a half, and were often the presentation of a single new song that she would improvise for the entire show.

On the day of her funeral, Egypt declared a national day of mourning and the entire nation shut-down in her honor.

The Beatles may have been bigger than Jesus in the Western world; but Om Kalsoun was bigger than The Beatles in the Arabic world (the Orient).

Om Kalsoum at Wikipedia

Here is a 5-minute video.








No comments: