Friday, February 06, 2009

Steven Swan by Cheyney Thompson

by Dick Mac

This is a painting I get to look at regularly, and I think it's wonderful:



It's a painting of the painter Steven Swan, by the painter Cheyney Thompson

Thompson is a New York City painter, originally from Baton Rouge, Louisiana. He was educated at The School of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, Tufts University, Harvard University, Cambridge, and L'Ecole Nationale-Superieur Des Beaux-Arts, Paris.

His work is displayed in the United States and Europe, and I believe this young(ish) artist will be a prolific American painter for years to come.

Andrew Kreps Gallery page

Whitney Biennial Page

Sutton Lane Page

Images at Galerie Daniel Buchholz

A New York Times Review








1 comment:

Al Falafal said...

That's pretty impressive. One of my longest-known best friends in Philadelphia is an amazing artist who now shows at the Claire Oliver Gallery in NYC. I have watched her rise from newly-hatched RISD grad working at a local art supply store to something of an international sensation in the art world. Through it all she has maintained her humility, humor, intelligence and just plain Judith-ness to me.

Her work in stained glass is like nothing else out there and today it sells for more than I could dream of spending. I have a few small pieces that she gifted me with over the years but I kick myself for not buying the piece she did in memory of my partner Kirk in 1992. She offered to sell it to me at cost but back then I could not even afford the $2K that was. It's called "Mourning Glory" and you can Google the image and kick me yourself when you see it. She always signs her pieces with her two-letter initial and this one is cryptically signed "JS 4 KH."

You can see Judith's current work at Claire Oliver Gallery and online at http://www.claireoliver.com/artists.html?artist_no=13