The acceptance of gay marriage and non-traditional families by decent people is a sign of wonder, and shows that God's grace touches all who are open to it. Those who oppose gay marriage and non-traditional families are not decent people.
When people wave the flag of "free expression" to defend their bigotry, one thing is clear: they've been caught expressing bigoted views. Many believe that draping themselves in the mantle of "freedom" will draw attention away from their stupidity and turn their victims into the bad guys.
A gay couple who design clothes for a living recently said that (and I paraphrase) gay people shouldn't have children, non-traditional families are bad, and that IVF produces less-than-dignified children. Actual quotes include these gems:
"We oppose gay adoptions. The only family is the traditional one. No chemical offsprings and rented uterus: life has a natural flow, there are things that should not be changed."
"You are born to a mother and a father – or at least that’s how it should be. I call children of chemistry, synthetic children. Rented uterus, semen chosen from a catalog."
"The family is not a fad. In it there is a supernatural sense of belonging."These statements are pretty ordinary opinions and are held by billions of small-minded people from all walks of life. Fortunately, billions of open-minded people from all walks of life do not hold such narrow views of the world.
Some relatively famous people are upset about this and have joined a boycott of the clothing line.
The bigots then frame the debate this way (this from often-misguided The Guardian newspaper):
- Is it right to boycott them because of their remarks?
- Are they just exercising their freedom of expression?
Hey, stupids: that is not a logical comparison of the matters at hand. We all agree they have the right to express themselves.
This is how the surveys make sense:
- Do you agree with these clothing designers' position on families?
- Do you disagree with these clothing designers' position on families?
- Are they good people for expressing these views about non-traditional families?
- Are they bad people for expressing these views about non-traditional families?
- Do you think non-traditional families should be treated the same way as traditional families?
- Do you think non-traditional families should be treated differently than traditional families?
- Do you plan to boycott the clothing line because of their remarks?
- Do you plan to support the clothing line in spite of their remarks?
Don't argue with bigots. Point at them and laugh, shake your head and walk away slowly.
Bigots aren't stupid people, they are bad people. Treat them as such.