Taxes, as I've said many times before, buy us civilization; and gazillionaires are such because we have had a civilization. The rich didn't magically create everything that is good in the world nor did they accumulate all that wealth without massive assistance from the government (in the United States, the government is me and you - the taxpayers and citizens - we are a good government).
Those who think that government, civilization, and wealth all exist in separate vacuums, are the same people who believe God created the Universe in six days, then needed to chill for a minute before getting to work ensuring all the dinosaur bones were hidden and the 21st Century conservatives could promote 20th Century libertarianism as an actual structure on which to continue building civilization. It was good of God to plan all this!
Thirty years into the discipline that is the Chicago School of economic philosophy, also known as Reaganomics or Thatchernomics or the supply-side theory, our once-great government is crumbling, our once-great nation is crumbling, our society is mired in a morass of deceit about the roots of our nation and civilization; and none of the promises of a supply-side economic boom have ever come even remotely close to fruition. In fact, our economic and civil structures are in jeopardy due to thirty years of implementing this economic policy.
I have been scoffed-at by many because of my insistence that the rich do owe society something, as it was the entire society that built the civilization in which they have profited. Those of us who have done well have a responsibility to finance the civilization we have built.
The crux of the matter is taxes. People who've greatly benefited from the existence of an expensive society are no longer interested in paying for it. They have their pie, and there is no way they are paying for anymore pie for anymore people (especially immigrants).
I applaud people with strong conviction. Have the courage of those convictions.
Earlier this year, Stephen D. Foster Jr., published a list of 102 activities and benefits of civilization that cost money to fund and are funded by tax dollars. Those people who are taxed enough already and want to pay less tax and really believe in their philosophy, should stop participating in these activities, so we can reduce taxes. The list is linked below, but these are some of my faves:
- 5. Do not call 911 when you get hurt.
- 7. Do not summon the fire department to save your burning home.
- 14. Do not visit National Parks.
- 16. Do not eat or use FDA inspected food and medicines.
- 23. Do not use the judiciary system for any reason.
- 29. Do not watch the weather provided by the National Weather Service.
- 39. Do not buy firearms that wouldn't have been developed without the support of the US Government and military. That includes most of them.
- 45. Do not save your money in a bank that is FDIC insured.
- 47. Do not use the G.I. Bill to go to college.
- 48. Do not apply for unemployment benefits.
- 68. Do not use electricity generated by Hoover Dam.
- 69. Do not use electricity or any service provided by the Tennessee Valley Authority.
- 73. Do not visit historic landmarks.
- 76. Do not expect plows to clear roads of snow and ice so your kids can go to school and so you can get to work.
- 77. Do not hunt or camp on federal land.
- 82. Do not expect to own your home, car, or boat. Government organizes and keeps all titles.
- 95. Do not complain when millions more illegal immigrants cross the border because there are no more border patrol agents.
You get the picture.
102 Things NOT To Do If You Hate Taxes
You tea party people and "conservatives" stop using the government, then we'll talk about de-funding it; but have the courage of your convictions and show us that you will put your money where your mouth is.
In closing, most people who claim to be promoting conservatism and liberty are generally either grossly misinformed or lying. Conservatism needs to be ignored, and like the finest parts of the 20th Century, conservatives need to be marginalized and gotten out of the mainstream.