Monday, July 04, 2011

July 4, 2011

by Dick Mac

Today my daughter said, "It's the Fourth of July!"; and I said "Happy Independence Day!"

"What's Independence Day?" She asked.

I sure wish I had recorded it, because in a few short minutes I was able to passionately tell the story of the discovery of the New World, the landing of the pilgrims, the reign of George III, name all 13 original colonies without looking them up, describe the Stamp Act and tea tax, the mustering of the rebel army, the build-up of British troops, the formation of the Continental Congress, the Boston Massacre, the drafting and execution of the Declaration of Independence, and the pronouncement two days later of our independence from the crown.

And she understood.

Parenting isn't as hard now as it was a few years ago.

Happy Fourth!

No comments: