Thursday, June 16, 2011

"We Are The Champions," Queen

by Dick Mac

So, I haven't followed hockey since the mid-1970s. I had been lucky enough to come of age while the Boston Bruins of the Orr/Esposito era was winning (and winning and winning). I attended a fair number of games, followed them on WSBK-TV 38, and read about them every day in the Boston Globe.

I didn't learn about the 2010-2011 Bruins' good fortune until the Stanley Cup finals had begun. I watched the first game, then I missed Games 2 and 5; but I watched the others, including Game 6 the other night and Game 7 last night.

I had heard that the Vancouver Canucks were the superior team and were expected to win. They didn't win, and their fans trashed the city in retribution.

Bruins fans do what Boston fans do so often: they chanted about a different team and sporting event in celebration of the Bruins' victory.

It's always odd to be at a Boston Red Sox game when the fans chant "Yankees Suck!" even though the Yankees are not anywhere near Fenway Park. I am no longer a Red Sox fan (or a fan of anything related to Major League Baseball), but I am still embarrassed for Bostonians when this happens (and it happens so, so very often).

In keeping with the Bostonian penchant for not knowing what is actually going on at at a sporting event, a group of Bruins fans was recorded chanting "USA! USA! USA!" in celebration of the Boston Bruins' victory.

Lest any readers here be confused, let me assure you the the United States had nothing to do with the NHL Stanley Cup final between the Boston Bruins and the Vancouver Canucks. But, that means nothing to Boston sports fans. I am certain that at some point, later in the celebration, that same group of fans began shouting "Yankees Suck"!

Congratulations Boston Bruins!





No comments: