Wednesday, June 15, 2011

"Little By Little," Dusty Springfield

by Dick Mac

Born Mary Isobel Catherine Bernadette O'Brien in 1939, Dusty Springfield took the entertainment industry by storm in the mid-1960s.

Dusty and Barbara Lewis were the two girl singers who defined pop music in my life. I don't know if she was the singer for whom the term "blue-eyed soul" was coined, but you can't find a whiter part of the gene pool singing more soulful songs.

So young and self-conscious in this television appearance in the 1960s, she lip-synchs the wonderful "Little By Little." This is my daughter's favorite Dusty song. I didn't even know this song, and I was alive and listening to Top 40 AM radio when it was released. So, I must have heard it then.

On her death bed, March 2, 1999, Dusty was presented with an OBE (as an Officer of the Order of the British Empire), which had been granted by Queen Elizabeth II.

Her LP "Dusty In Memphis" is one of the best records of all-time (IMNSHO).

Enjoy!





No comments: