Tuesday, May 10, 2011

A Subway Sign Mystery

by Dick Mac

My friend, Tony, posted a picture of the Spring Street subway station with the name of The Bronx spelled The Broncks.

The Bronx was named for a man named Jonas Bronck, so it is a historically accurate, if not currently correct designation for the borough.

The picture is not doctored or photoshopped. So I wonder if this is some sort of campaign about the history of the city's boroughs, or guerrilla art, or just a plain-old misspelling?

I found an older picture of the same subway stop with The Bronx spelled correctly.

What's going on here?

Will the name of the city revert to New Amsterdam?

If you have any facts about this, or have heard any rumors, or have any thoughts, or have just made-up some interesting and engaging story about the sign, please send it to me, or post it as a comment.

It is my sincerest hope that this is not a misspelling.


Inventory
Tony Visconti

No comments: