Friday, April 22, 2011

Day 22 - A song that you listen to when you're sad:

by Dick Mac

The 30 Day Song Challenge has been presented to me by my friend Beff. The month of April will be dedicated to those thirty songs.

There are few American songwriters as great as Hank Williams. He wrote many songs that are American classics, and many songs for which other singers are famous.

In the last years of his career, of his life actually, Johnny Cash released a series of American collections and on one of them he sings an updated version of "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry."

I have used this song as a lullaby because the tune is so soothing, but it is heart-wrenching when you listen to all the words.

The original recording by Hank Williams (1949):



The remarkable remake by Johnny Cash and Nick Cave (2002)




Johnny Cash's original recording (1960):





No comments: