Monday, April 18, 2011

Day 18 - A song that you wish you heard on the radio: Incident on 57th Street

by Dick Mac

The 30 Day Song Challenge has been presented to me by my friend Beff. The month of April will be dedicated to those thirty songs.

Yesterday I mentioned the notion of a band's or artist's second record being a real indication of their depth.

In a bit of a contradiction to yesterday's point, I insist that although Bruce Springsteen's second album, "The Wild, The Innocent, And The E Street Shuffle" is not stylistically that very different from his first album, "Greetings From Asbury Park," it is still a great album that indicated he was here to stay and worthy of another listen.

That said, I think Springsteen's story-telling skills did grow between records and continues to grow throughout his career.

I like songs that tell stories, which is why Springsteen is one of my favorite artists.

In this song, Springsteen tells the story of Spanish Johnny and Puerto Rican Jane:





No comments: