Thursday, April 14, 2011

Day 14 - A song that no one would expect you to love: Midnight Rider

The Midnight Ride Of Paul Revereby Dick Mac

The 30 Day Song Challenge has been presented to me by my friend Beff. The month of April will be dedicated to those thirty songs.

When the Boston Patriots abandoned me and moved to Schaefer Stadium, in Foxboro, Massachusetts, I felt betrayed. Boston no longer had an NFL team, and so my interest in the sport began to wane. Foxboro is more like Providence than Boston.

The Summer that the new Stadium opened a number of rock concerts were held. I went with a group of friends, piled into a van, to a Southern rock extravaganza: Black Oak Arknsas, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and The Allman Brothers Band. I have no idea what possessed me to spend ten or 15 hard-earned dollars on this event, but I did.

Fortunately, I consumed enough alcohol and drugs to not really remember much of it. It was the seventies, after all.

Year later I was living with a roommate who fancies the music of white men singing the blues, and a touch of Southern rock; and I found myself secretly listening to the Allman Brothers song: "Midnight Rider."

So, although I am no fan of the genre, I really like this song:





No comments: