Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Moments In Incongruity - Judas Priest - Music Video

by Dick Mac

I am a fan of incongruity. A spiritual adviser once suggested that this may not be a good thing; that it might be related to my penchant for seeking the ironic instead of seeking the truth. I suspect he is correct.

I love when things happen that you least expect, especially in the music world.

I remember hearing Hall & Oates' "Rich Girl" for the first time. Although it was certainly Top 40 material, it seemed subversive. I always loved the song, because it's a lot edgier than pop music afficianadoes realize. There weren't a lot of songs written about Patty Hearst, and it took a certain amount of testicular fortitude to try and get away with it in pop music. I have always been a fan of Patty Hearst as a pop star, and wish I still had the Tania wanted poster that I nicked from a post office during the entire debacle.

That is an example of incongruity for me: a pop band singing a very pop sounding song about a young woman who has "joined" a revolution.

I recently posted about another music incongruity that I like: Patti Smith singing "You Light Up My Life" in 1979.

Today's observation of incongruity is Judas Priest singing the Joan Baez song "Diamonds & Rust." Written, one can only assume, and rightfully so, as another song to/about Bob Dylan, "Diamonds & Rust" is a beautiful song.

In 1982, Judas Priest started performing it live in concert. Oddly, Rob Halford maintains the beauty of the song, but the setting and his image make it all seem . . . well, almost . . . wrong.

Still I like it a lot, and here it is for you:








No comments: