Tuesday, January 04, 2011

You Light Up My Life

by Dick Mac

In 1978, I saw Patti Smith Group at the Orpheum Theatre, in Boston.

Although her act hadn't changed much since the first time I saw her in 1975, I could never get enough and would see her in any venue. This show had one very different moment: Patti came-out for the final encore and sang "You Light Up My Life" - straight.

That's right. Patti Smith sang a straight rendition of Debby Boone's hit, and at the end she shouted into the microphone: "Debby Boone, Grammy Award winner for Best New Artist in 1977," and she was gone.

I was left half startled and half amused and thoroughly entertained. To this day I don't know if she was being ironic or not; but it doesn't matter.

Sometime in the early 1980s, Patti appeared on the television show "Kids Are People Too" and performed the song with composer, Joe Brooks.

Enjoy:





No comments: