Thursday, June 24, 2010

You Couldn't Have Scripted This!

by Dick Mac

The announce said: "It is breathtakingly exciting!"

I sat in my seat, mouth agape, fists clenched, pounding on my thighs. I couldn't make a sound. Then I started crying like a child. My chest heaved and tears fell down my cheeks. I couldn't catch my breath. I felt the corners of my mouth curl downward as I gasped and sobbed. I realized I was crying over a soccer match and that made me start to laugh. Then I didn't know if I was laughing or crying. I sunk my face into my hands and tried to regain my composure.

When I could breathe properly I confirmed that Landon Donovan had taken a throw from goalie Tim Howard, delivered it forward to Jozy Altidore who crossed it to Clint Dempsey. Dempsey took a shot that was blocked by the goalie, and he tumbled over the keeper as the ball ricocheted back into play. Donovan ran forward to score the game-winning goal in stoppage time.

See for yourself: View the FIFA video at youtube.com.

FIFA has banned the embedding of their videos, because . . . well . . . basically . . . FIFA sucks. So, you have to click the link above and watch an extra minute or so of FIFA highlights before you can see the goal.






No comments: