Thursday, May 27, 2010

"Stoned Soul Picnic" 5th Dimension, Swing Out Sister

by Dick Mac

I can still see the 45rpm single spinning on my record player as my scratchy copy of The 5th Dimension singing "Stoned Soul Picnic" would blare from the tinny little speakers that provided me the music of my life.

I knew nothing about Laura Nyro's "Eli and the Thirteenth Confession" album. Even though I had some LPs in my collection, singles made-up the bulk of my music listening.

The 5th Dimension version of "Stone Soul Picnic" was a hit. It reached #3 on the Billboard Hot 100, and they could be seen on on television vatiety shows almost every week performing their version of Nyro's great song.

I didn't even know that Swing Out Sister had recorded it, and the second video below is a video montage of their studio version.

I hope you enjoy this song as much as I do.







No comments: