Thursday, April 09, 2009

Passover

by Dick Mac

I attended a Passover Seder last night, and one of the phrases that was repeated was: "Next year let us celebrate in a land where everyone is free."

I wonder what I am doing to make the world a place where everyone is free. Do we live in a land where everyone is free? Are people of color free to compete fairly in the workplace? Are women free to climb the corporate ladder without hitting a glass ceiling? Are homosexual couples free to live in a monogamous relationship and enjoy the same property rights as heterosexual couples?

A "conservative" I talked to afterwards responded with the rather typical: "It depends how you define freedom." Which is conservative-speak for: "Do anything you want as long as I don't have to live with niggers, fags, and Jews, and you cut my taxes so I don't have to pay my fair share of the expenses for freedom and civilization." Conservatives, of course, do nothing but make the world better for a select few.

What am I doing to help make the world a place free for all?

What are you doing to help make the world a place free for all?





No comments: