Friday, November 03, 2006

eVoting

I do not know how many states are using electronic voting machines, but I am investigating.

I do know that the methodologies used by electronic voting machines today is completely flawed in a violation of the notion of free and fair elections. Why? There is no piece of paper generated to prove a vote has been cast and for whom.

Though I work in the technology industry, I am becoming a bit of a Luddite. I hate my mobile phone and all mobile phones, I do not want a Crackberry (a/k/a Blackberry) or other portable device, I stopped using my PalmPilot a year ago, and the list goes on. So, though I am moving away from too much technology in my personal life, I totally understand the importance of it and the near-miraculous impact it has had on civilization (if you can call Reagan's America civilized).

I want electronic voting implemented. And when the button is pressed to register a vote, I want it to print a little piece of paper (you know, like that cutting-edge technology the ATM!) as a receipt. The receipt needn't have my name on it, just a number and those for whom I voted.

Until a receipt is generated, I want no part of eVoting.

Oh, and by the way . . . if the right-wing can implement cheatable voting machines, the other right-wing should be able to implement real eVoting of a SSL internet connection.

There is someone trying to watch-out for us. Visit the website of the Electronic Frontier Foundation.

No comments: