Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Fat Tuesday

Yahoo! reports that despite Katrina, Mardi Gras is in full swing.


When I attended Mardi Gras, it looked nothing like this!

Granted, it was almost 30 years ago that I attended and the festivities could attract a different crowd, but I have never even seen a picture of Mardi Gras celebrants looking so particularly white and republican!

It's nice that there's a big party for white people in New Orleans. White, upwardly mobile out-of-towners need a big party in The Big Easy to assuage their pain. So many people left homeless. So poor, so black. Tens, even hundreds, of thousands of poor black people still living in shelters and crap hotels in far-away cities, in disjointed communities away from their friends and loved-ones.

Yeah! America needs a big party to distract us from our total failure to address the needs of our own citizenry.

It's like that Peggy Lee song "Is That All There Is?"!
Then one day a big hurricane came and washed the city away. A big jet took me to Houston where I sat with all the po' black folks. We got a debit card for expenses and my daddy got drunk with it. I stood there in the Airport Hilton and asked, is that all there is to a hurricane?

Since the only important thing the federal government has to do for New Orleans is ensure that businesses are going concerns, I think our recovery plan for Katrina is a success!

So, everybody: "Let's break out the booze and have a ball!"


Dick Mac Recommends:

The Best of Miss Peggy Lee
Peggy Lee






No comments: