Tuesday, January 10, 2023

Dear David Bowie


by Dick Mac

It's been seven years since you took the big trip, since you went away.  You never write anymore . . . that's how it goes now, I guess.

The world has been filthy with tributes to you.  Everywhere! And everyone is doing something.  Me?  I'm typing.

People are travelling again, and lots of them are getting sick because of it.  Yeah, that coronavirus persists.  The world is actually a mess, but everyone is just pretending it's over, and since most folks are vaccinated and no longer dying from it, we are willing to be really sick for a few days so that we can attend a concert or sporting event or visit a tropical paradise. We got it at my house after a soccer match.  

Bowie COVID Mask
We were so careful, masked, doing our best to keep distance, washing our hands, using cootie juice, and all of it.  But, we took our masks off for fifteen minutes to eat and  . . . BANG . . .  we got COVID! I was sick as a dog for a week. 

I suggest continuing to wear your mask. Do you have nice masks?  I love my Joanna Ha masks.  You really should have one.

I attended a Donny McCaslin show at Village Vanguard with Princess Ramsey and Cavebat and Helen and Leeza and Shakeh and Tony a few months ago.  That was great fun; but, honestly, I'm still stressed out being around cootie-infested strangers.  I prefer to do less-crowded events, like museums and outdoor stuff.

Brilliant Live Adventures Empty Box
They didn't release any records or box sets for your birthday this year, not even an empty-box set (which was a genius way to get money, by the way!).  Only you could sell an empty box for sixteen bucks!  I was joking with georg that you could release a career-spanning empty box set and people would line-up to buy it!  Maybe they would make it a best-seller.  But, can an empty box set be on the charts?  I can see the headline:  Bowie Tops Charts In Death With Career-Spanning Empty Box Set.  It's fucking genius:  you should do it!

Iman posted a lovely picture of you two on your birthday with the hashtag #bowieforever.  Quite nice.  My goodness, she truly adored you.  As a couple, you two were probably the example all should enjoy.

The Queen is dead.  God save the King!  

Best quote about her death and his ascension to the throne was someone saying: "This 'woke' thing has gone too far! I can't believe the next Queen of England is going to be a man!"

At the first footie matches after her death, it was strange to hear the crowd sing "king" instead of  "queen." She was monarch my entire life.  There had never been a King of England!  There just aren't enough queens in the world anymore.

Speaking of the footie, Pele died.  He was old and sick.  It's sad.

The adorable Terry Hall died.  You remember him: from The Specials.  He was quite wonderful, and he was a big fan of yours. Angelo Badalamenti also passed. I'm certain you knew his work. And Keith Levine from PIL.  You never talked much about that whole post-punk scene.  Did you like PIL?  I know you're a master of public image, but what about Public Image, Ltd.? And Jerry Lee Lewis. I don't really have much of anything to say about Jerry Lee Lewis.  He was a pioneer, obviously, but I think I like a bit more or less of something or another when I think of his legacy. Loretta Lynn is gone, as is Coolio. Judith Durham, who sang "Georgy Girl" also passed.  And Lamont Dozier of Holland-Dozier-Holland fame.  He was one of the great American soul songwriters. Olivia Newton-John, too.  I think I saw a picture of you with her in California in the 80s.  Maybe not.  She was a big start in the 1980s (but not as big as you). Jim Rado, who co-wrote the musical "Hair" is gone. Ian McDonald of King Crimson, And, very sadly, your friend Ronnie Spector.  Now, maybe you two are neighbors, if any of that supernatural mumbo-jumbo stuff is true and you are actually someplace else enjoying the company of others who've left this mortal coil.  You and Ronnie could cover some George Harrison songs, maybe ALL of them!  You and Ronnie could do a ten hour concert of just George Harrison songs.  Do you see George?  He became a bit of a cranky old man, so I wonder if he's happier where you are than he was while he was here.  I hope so.  I quite liked his records.

There is supposed to be a fiftieth anniversary release of Aladdin Sane.  I haven't done a thorough investigation, but from what I saw it appears to be just a re-release, not any fancy box set with lots of extra stuff you never wanted to release in the first place.  We'll see how that goes.

They re-hung the AbEx galleries at MoMA this month.  It's sort of shocking, but still amazing.  They've done an entire gallery of Rothko.  Quite magnificent.  Did you own a Rothko?  I forget.  I think you did.  I don't. 

I still miss you.  The world really is not the same without you.

Do you remember the time you chatted to me "Daddy understands." and I told you I thought that was really gross, and you LOL'd and said you agreed; but, that so many of your fans on the internet called you 'daddy' you assumed I did, too.  You were always so nice, so open and considerate.  Yeah, the world just isn't the same without you.

Drop me a line.  Just a quick hello will do, I don't need a whole long missive, but could enjoy a critique of the current state of the art world, if you are up to it.

Anyway . . . just wanted you to know I was thinking of you today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My eyes watered while reading this. I wasn’t crying but my face was wet. Sending love to David and to you.