Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Day 06 - A song that reminds you of somewhere: I Try, by Macy Gray

by Dick Mac

The 30 Day Song Challenge has been presented to me by my friend Beff. The month of April will be dedicated to those thirty songs.

When we moved into our first flat in London, right in the City near St. Paul's, it was completely furnished and included a stereo with a 3-disc CD player. With most of the CD collection in NYC, our selection remained small while I purchased a CD here and there.

The three CDs in heaviest rotation in the earliest days were Macy Gray "On How Life Is," Red Chord "Wicked ... Live At The Abbey," and "The Best of Dusty Springfield."

Although the disc-changer was set to random, and the randomness was pretty effective, I seemed to hear Macy Gray's "I Try" every day.

Whenever I hear it now, ten years later, I imagine standing at the floor-to-ceiling windows of our living room in The King's Wardrobe looking out into the cobbled courtyard off Carter Lane.



Ten years later. . . .

It was in that flat, in February 2001, that I wrote my first entry in this blog, White City Old City Red City Cold City! Although I pre-dated some articles that had been published elsewhere, this story about my birthday trip to Morocco was my first foray into blogging!

Tempis fugit





No comments: