Tuesday, March 22, 2011

A Good Year For The Roses, by George Jones

by Dick Mac

I just can't get this song out of my head!

For his sixth release, Elvis Costello made "Almost Blue," a country record on which he sang a collection American standards and gems. "A Good Year For The Roses" was one of them.

Before the album was released, I managed to get my hands on the import single of this song backed with another George Jones song "Your Angel Steps Out Of Heaven" on f-Beat records.

This began my interest in George Jones. I knew him as Tammy Wynette's husband, and not a very good husband at that. Now I wanted to know about his songs. The discography is impressive and he has performed with some of the the great names of country and pop music.



Produced by Billy Sherrill, Elvis' "Almost Blue" is performed, sung and recorded as a classic country record: no tricks, no new wave dandiness, just plain old American country music. A link to his MP3 of this song is in the carousel below.



No comments: