Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Miep Gies Dies At 100 Years Old

by Dick Mac

Miep Gies, one of the women who hid Anne Frank and her family from Nazis during World War II, has died in Holland at the age of 100.

Gies has always insisted that she did nothing heroic, she only did what any decent person would do:

There is nothing special about me. I have never wanted special attention. I was only willing to do what was asked of me and what seemed necessary at the time.

I think we forget that the world is not made up of heroes. It is made up of ordinary people who sometimes make heroic decisions.

Even though television needs heroes to sell advertisements; the world has not always been this way.

The decisions we make each day means the world is a better place or not.

We needn't be heroes to do the next right thing in life.

Miep Gies, Anne Frank protector, dies at 100






No comments: