Friday, January 02, 2009

Diamonds Are A Material Girl's Best Friend

by Dick Mac

I recently watched "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes," one of my all-time favorite movies.

When Marilyn sang "Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend," I remembered Madonna's take-off for her video of "Material Girl."

While looking for both of the videos at youtube.com, I found a video of Kylie Minogue doing a straight cover of "Diamonds..."! It's very well done.

The original song and dance by Marilyn:


Madonna's "Material Girl" video:


Kylie Minogue's excellent remake:


I am unable to find a video of Emmylou Harris' remake of Diamonds, from her White Shoes album. It sounds almost like a Velvet Underground remake, and I recommend it.

It's been done by others, too. See the wikipedia entry for Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend.







No comments: