Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Moments In Rock History: "All The Young Dudes"

by DM

Does rock and roll history really have any significance?

A man lands on the moon, a civil war is fought, a man spills acid on his hand and speaks through a wire to request aid, an evil dictator is exposed as genocidal and is brought down by the rest of the world. All of these seem significant.

When we discuss the arts, however, what is significant? Cave paintings? Portraiture?Shakespeare? Talkies? Television? 3-D movies? Motown? Christo?

When it comes to art, I guess significance is all subjective.

And, so, I will subject you to one of my favorite moments in rock history: At the Freddie Mercury Tribute, Ian Hunter from Mott The Hoople, and the remaining members of Queen joined the reunited David Bowie and Mick Ronson, to sing the Bowie-penned, Mott The Hoople hit, "All The Young Dudes":



We're juvenile delinquent wrecks, indeed!



Dick Mac Recommends:

All The Young Dudes
Mott The Hoople







3 comments:

CB said...

Thank you so much for this.

Al Falafal said...

Few tunes never fail to put me back in fond memoriesville that was life in the 70s, 'specially the goofyass later years when I first met up with DM. This one does. It's wrapped up so tight in my brain with you, MS, KH and those fresh fruit days w/kims & the seward I'm almost afraid I'll get stuck there forever when I hear the original. Whoa. The only thing more tied to flashbacks of DM specifically is Suffragette City -- Wham Bam Thank You Ma'am!

Anonymous said...

I am one of the lucky bitches who witnessed this live. One of the few people my age who saw Ronno. One of the greatest days of my life.