Monday, August 25, 2008

Conventioneering

When I was a boy I heard the expression "she got a D&C" which I deduced had something to do with a woman either terminating a pregnancy or having a miscarriage or having a tubaligation. When I asked my mother about it she said it was a "dusting and cleaning" which told me less than I had already deduced on my own.

To this day, I have no idea what the mothers in the projects were talking about when they said "she got a D&C"!

Much later in life I learned about the DNC (Democratic National Committee) and I thought they were the good guys. I have come to deduce that they are barely the lesser of two evils.

Tonight in Denver, the Democrats will begin their convention.

I have no hope that it will be anything more than a bunch of spin and prepackaged pablum.

What do you think? Which do you think is most relaistic for Americans: a D&C or a DNC?


Dick Mac Recommends:

Subscribe to The Nation
Since 1865




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I look at the choice between McCain and Obama, I see a stark difference.

McCain believes national security means projecting American military force around the globe and extending the American empire.

Obama is a centrist and my greatest fear is that he will always find the middle rather than than advance progressive values. The only way to counter this less than desirably outcome is for progressives to make a deal with Obama - our vote in return for a set of nonnegotiable items, including accountability for Bush torture, war deception, and corrupting DOJ, health care, strengthen Social Security, and a cautious strategic withdrawal of US troops from bases around the globe. Progressives Unite! and make a deal with Barry Obama.

Anonymous said...

Has no one chimed in to say "dilation and curettage?" Colloquially speaking, expansion and scraping. Ouch.

. . . What O'Reilly said. It's troubling to me how Dems seemingly disregard the blatant horror story that would be 4 years of McCain. Does our idealism so soon create amnesia about what life has been under Bush (even before he's gone), and at the same time lead us to ask perfection from a truly progressive candidate?

I have to face that my grandmother's and mother's unconditional loyalty to any democrat that came down the road was probably naive, and that my generation has to think more critically. But if we progressives continue to insist that our candidate not only embody perfection, but adhere to some idealistic script (of which we all have varying personal requirements), we will be responsible for 4 years of President McCain, and momentum repulsive to our hopes and values.

-- Kathy