Thursday, March 13, 2008

Won't You Wear Your Sweater

I have been made fun of because of my penchant for cardigan sweaters (and blazers). While working in London, I was the laughing stock of my department because of my cardigans in the office. Now, I don't wear my cardigan in the office all day, but I keep it in my office in the Winter and I wear it if I get cold. When it is not the Winter, I tend to use a blazer instead.

While living in London, Mrs. Mac gave me a gift of a beautiful button-up cashmere cardigan from Holland & Holland. Yes, Holland & Holland sells guns, but they also sell clothes. Some really nice clothes; and their sweaters are particularly nice.

A more famous lover of cardigans was the late Mister Rogers, of children's television fame. Mister Rogers' cardigan had a zipper.

Mister Rogers, originally from Pittsburgh, would have been 80 next week. To celebrate, the Northland Public Library, in Pittsburgh, is sponsoring "Won't You Wear Your Sweater Day" (which actually runs for ten days). The event started on March 10, 2008 and ending on Mister Rogers' birthday on March 20, 2008.

Their website explains:

In honor of what would have been Mister Rogers 80th birthday, Northland Public Library is hosting Won't You Wear Your Sweater Day on Friday, March 20. We're asking people to wear their favorite sweater to the library. It doesn't have to have a zipper down the front like the one Mister Rogers wore on his program…it just has to be your favorite.

We're also asking people to donate a sweater that day, with all donations being given to the Light of Life Ministries on the North Side of Pittsburgh. Sweaters can be placed in the special collection bin on the lower level of the library. Come and celebrate the birthday of this Pittsburgh legend, and help this valuable community service at the same time.

Visit the library's website.

Northland Public Library
300 Cumberland Road, Pittsburgh
(412) 366-8100

Thanks to Adam for sending this along

No comments: