Friday, May 25, 2007

What Are You Listening To?

Even though I do not own an iPod, I listen to music quite a bit: home and office, primarily. I like to think I have eclectic taste in music (others would disagree), so I've decided to start blogging a bit about what I have been listening to recently.

The CDs that have most recently found there way into my collection are:

10cc - Best of the Early Years- which includes the entire first 10cc release. It is filled with Godley & Creme gems like "Rubber Bullets," "Ships Don't Disappear," "Fresh Air For My Mama" and "Donna." I searched forever to find the right 10cc CD to buy. The CD of the first release sells for upwards of thirty bucks, and it took awhile to learn that this best of, that includes all the cuts for that release, can be had for under twenty.

The Normal - T.V.O.D./Warm Leatherette- is a classic post-punk single from 1978. It took me a long time to remember that I really wanted it! I blogged the lyrics to Warm Leatherette previously, but I think it's important to tell you that T.V.O.D. includes the lyric "I just stick the aerial into my skin let the signal run through my veins." A perfect homage to commercial television.

Patti Smith - Twelve- Patti has finally done her album of covers. I think every artist should do at least one, and she has made great choices. I saw the first night of the tour for this release and it was fun to watch her sing songs from Tears For Fears, The Rolling Stones, The Allman Brothers, Nirvana, Jefferson Airplane, The Doors, and others. Only Patti would remember that "Gimme Shelter" is actually an anti-war protest song. She revives it at a time when the world doesn't want to hear about world peace; but as usual, in her inimitable style, she holds it right in front of our faces.

And last, but hardly least, my fellow soul sistah and dreamboat, Rex, has linked me to Funky 16 Corners, a web site dedicated to the preservation of the mid-century funk sound. Complete with scans of picture sleeves, commentary and samples, you can find thematic playlists of your fave songs from my childhood. This weekend, the site is spotlighting the song "Popcorn" and the answer songs, follow-up songs, and remakes that followed. I am partial to the article that highlights "The Horse," so find it and have a listen. You will not regret it!

Dick Mac Recommends:

Twelve
Patti Smith






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good golly Miss Molly!

Godley and Creme. Got their album "L" way back....and man, that album wasn't received too well, I heard....but I loved it! Long live G and C!

The HORSE!!! That was my high school's football song. We danced in the stands to The Horse while the School Band played on. Such memories. I even had to find the track for my 10th reunion and because I did, I was THE star of the night.

You know momma aint let her daughters listen to dat nasty rock n roll. Bring me that lickin' stick, dick!