Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Autumn In New York

Autumn is the best time of year in New York.

The air is crisp and clean. The leaves are turning color. People seem more animated.

Today, I saw my favorite Autumn incident.

On my walk to the subway each morning, I pass a series of businesses owned by people who have immigrated from Eastern, er, Central Europe. The street is often bustling with men yelling at each other and bundled-up women picking over vegetables. It's very New York. It's very Brooklyn.

There is a fish mongerer that opened in a new space a couple months ago. The men who run it are rude and unfriendly and loud and they smoke too much and they litter. I have never entered the establishment, though I might like to someday. The men hanging about make it very unappealing.

Each morning someone is out front sweeping the sidewalk. This morning, the man sweeping had a big task, as the tree in front of the store was dropping leaves faster than anyone could ever sweep them up.

I make it a point to say hello to everyone I encounter on the street, especially the shop workers. Today, the man saw me approaching and he shook his head in defeat. As I got closer, he started hitting the tree with the broom.

"Good morning," I offered.

"Morning," he said.

"Is something wrong?" I asked.

"This tree," he hit it with his broom again. "She is throwing too many leaves."

I shrugged my shoulders and smiled. "It's Autumn!"

He waved his had at me and yelled, "Ahhhhhhh!"

I love New York.

No comments: