Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Another Odd Conversation about Hillary Clinton

So, I am minding my own business on the subway home.

Man next to me acknowledges the Tasini badge on my shoulder bag and asks: "Is he the guy running against Clinton?"

"Yes, he is," I said cheerfully.

"He doesn't stand a chance, does he?" My fellow commuter added.

"It's a tough battle, but worth it, I think," I said.

"Clinton sure is amazing!" He said.

"Yeah!"

A bit of a silence.

"Are you against the war?" He asked.

"Yeah."

"Me too," he said. "Seemed like a good idea at first, but what a mess."

"Yeah," I agreed. "It's a mess. I wish we cuold get out of it."

"Well, Hillary will get us out of there," he said.

"I think she supports the war," I explained.

"Yeah, but she wants to get us out."

"But, she votes for the war each time it comes up."

"She does?" He acted surprised.

"Yeah, she does."

"That's wierd."

"Not really," I said. "Most conservatives support the war."

"She's not a conservative," he explained.

"She supports the war, she supports the Patriot Act, she is opposed to abortion, she supports NAFTA, she is against gay marriage, and the list goes on," I insisted. "Doesn't sound like a liberal to me."

"Really?" He asked. "Are you sure?"

"Yeah, I'm sure," I said. "Her record speaks for itself."

"Hmmmmm. Too bad there isn't anyone running against her," he offered.

"Tasini is running against her," I said. "That's what started this conversation."

"Oh, yeah," he seemd surprised. "That guy is running against her."

I was excited! "Will you vote for Tasini in the primary?"

"Ahhhhh . . . I probably won't vote," he explained. "What's the point?"

"Well," I offered, "Hillary will be very happy if you don't vote."

"Why?"

"Because when people start thinking about her, they stop liking her," I suggested.

"You know, you're right," he said. "I never really thought about it; but, she isn't very good."

"So will you vote for Tasini?" I asked again.

"I dunno." And he opened his Daily News and that was the end of the conversation.

It befuddles me that people think Hillary is a liberal. it befuddles me that people would not vote against her.

Here is a woman who supports moving American jobs off-shore, prevents equality for homosexuals (who then vote for her), opposes safe and legal abortions, supports a war in which three thousand Americans (including a parishoner at my church) have been killed, votes to extend the misnamed Patriot Act, and is loved by New Yorkers.

65% of New Yorkers believe the war was a mistake, yet they plan to re-elect a Senator who continues to support the war.

Of the twelve homosexuals I have asked about the primary election TEN plan to vote for her, even though she believes they should never have the right to marry!

I have asked two unemployed people if they would support Tasini, and they both said they will vote for Hillary -- even though she supports NAFTA, a treaty that has moved more jobs out of the USA than any other law.

I don't get it.

Hillary Clinton is bad for New York.

No comments: