Friday, March 18, 2005

Soccer in America

I am a season-ticket holder for the MetroStars, the Major League Soccer franchise in Metropolitan New York. They are based in New Jersey and play at Giants Stadium.

In an article earlier this week, I wrote:
One of the fringe benefits of being a MetroMember, as season-ticket holders are called, is pre-sale access to tickets for all international matches held at Giants Stadium. I have had front row seats to watch Mexico, Peru, Manchester United, Juventus, and AC Milan; and I've had fantastic seats to see many others. It's a great fringe benefit! (Soon I will write about this year's free bonus match that will make me the envy of most of my footy fanatic mates.)

Well, it was announced at the end of last week that one of the matches I would get to see is England v. Columbia! The MetroStars have set the match as part of a double-header, so I will watch the international friendly followed by the MetroStars hosting the Chicago Fire! Since it is a double-header, my existing ticket for the match provides me access to both matches!

Tickets are also available for sale. See this article.

This is very exciting. I have never seen England play and I am looking forward to it. Imagine the team they could send? You can see the choices here.

I would like to see this 16-man sqaud:

David James - GK
Robert Green - GK
Ashley Cole - D
Jamie Carragher - D
Sol Campbell - D
Rio Ferdinand - D
Glenn Johnson - D
David Beckham - M
Jermaine Jenas - M
Shaun Wright-Phillips - M
Kieron Dyer - M
Joe Cole - M
Michael Owen - F
Wayne Rooney - F
Jermaine Defoe - F
Andrew Johnson - F

For Columbia, I only hope that Juan Pablo Angel is present.

As well as this match, I have been able to purchase front-row corner seats for the Gold Cup Semi-finals and Final. The CONCACAF Gold Cup is a competition among ten teams from the Caribbean and North and Central America with two other national teams invited. This year those teams are South Africa and Columbia. Hopefully the USA will make it to the Semis so I can see them play.

Being a season-ticket holder of your local soccer team is a great deal and the benfits are fantastic.



Dick Mac Recommends:

Beckham
David Beckham









Recent posts
This month
Last month
See archives at right for earlier posts



No comments: