Wednesday, May 05, 2004

Dear David Bowie,

My sister Tess came to visit from Boston last weekend. I hadn't seen her since my best friend's funeral back in February.

We listened to songs on my iTunes jukebox trying to which cuts to add to a new mixed CD for her to bring home. When Nico's version of "Waiting For The Man" played, I asked if she remembered you singing this at the first Bowie concert she attended, which was the Station To Station tour at Boston Garden, 17 March 1976. She was 12 years old, I was eighteen. We had a blast. She didn't remember the song.

I got my whole family listening to your music when I started buying your records, well actually I bought mostly 8-Track tapes in the early 70s. "Young Americans" was a big hit in our house, and "Station To Station" was equally liked. Boy it was exciting to await each of your releases in those days! I am lucky to have been your fan back then. Nobody did the seventies better than you (or me)!

During her visit, she asked about my litho of "Child In Berlin" and she was really surprised to hear you had painted it. This led to a show and tell of a bunch of my David Bowie memorabilia. I showed her the catalog from Rex's "Fascination" show and the "Doing Bowie" piece, and Myriam's "Live In New York" book. What a great job they did on those projects. Do you ever listen to the "After Low" CD? I do. Love Among Puppets' version of "Be My Wife" and the Helen Lundy Trio's "Tanz Mit" are quite good.

My sister didn't know that you had such a dedicated fan base that was so creative and exciting. She knew how devoted I had become over thirty years of being your fan; but people outside the Bowie fan community don't understand the level of devotion. She really should meet some of them.

Anyway, my sister's CD ended up with no Bowie cuts (if you can believe it); but it was still a great mix (I think you'd approve):

What's Going On - Marvin Gaye
Goin' Out of My Head - Queen Latifah
Baby I'm Yours - Barbara Lewis
Band Of Gold - Freda Payne
When Will I See You Again - The Three Degrees
Genius of Love - Tom Tom Club
Jump - Aztec Camera
You're so Vain - Carly Simon
I Think We're Alone Now - Tommy James
Lola - Kinks
Wild Thing - The Troggs
Dizzy - Tommy Roe
She's A Lady - Tom Jones
Funky Broadway - Wilson Pickett
Give Me Just A Little More Time - Chairmen Of The Board
Love Train - O'Jays
Funky Broadway - Wilson Pickett
Dance To The Music - Sly & The Family Stone
The Tears Of A Clown - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
Love Child - Supremes
Family Affair - Sly & The Family Stone
I Got You Babe - Sonny and Cher
Son Of A Preacher Man - Dusty Springfield
The Flesh Failures - Hair Soundtrack

I think your song "1984" would have fit perfectly in that mix. Maybe next time.

Anyway . . . I think it's time for a big hit song from David Bowie. All the corporate endorsements and advertisements are fine, but how about a good pop song now?

Peace,
Dick Mac

P.S.: Why are you endorsing Nestle?