Sunday, April 24, 2011

Day 24 - A song that you want to play at your funeral

by Dick Mac

The 30 Day Song Challenge has been presented to me by my friend Beff. The month of April will be dedicated to those thirty songs.

I like church services, and I am particularly fond of church music.

At my funeral I hope they play at least the three standard funeral songs: Amazing Grace, Be Not Afraid, and On Eagle's Wings.

I requested Be Not Afraid at my wedding, because I like it so much. Some people thought it was only a song for a funeral, but I don't think so.

However, I don't think religious hymns are what we are discussing here. I am supposed to be hip, or ironic, or sentimental, and pick a pop song to be played at my funeral.

I thought of Dylan's "Knocking On Heaven's Door" and Bertolt Brecht's "My Death" but neither felt right, neither had the angst, the sorrow I would want.

Then I remember the beautiful Dorothy Moore hit, Misty Blue:



Here is Amazing Grace by Joan Baez and her sister, Mimi Farina:



Be Not Afraid:



On Eagle's Wing:





No comments: