Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Day 13 - A song that is a guilty pleasure: You Belong With Me

by Dick Mac

The 30 Day Song Challenge has been presented to me by my friend Beff. The month of April will be dedicated to those thirty songs.

This one is harder that it sounds. Do I actually admit how far down the pop food chain I will travel? Or do I play it safe and select something that is borderline hip and ironic?

Well, I live with a 7-year-old girl who has developed her own taste in music that ranges from Dusty Springfield, David Bowie, and Erasure to Pink, Lady Gaga, and Justin Bieber.

She influences my musical consumption as much as I influence hers. Last week I was required to finally purchase both Care Bears On Fire releases, which I was happy to do; and this was right after we came home from Rebel Rebel with three Erasure CDs.

My best story about guilty pleasure songs hearkens back to the early-1970s when I had The Carpenters "Close To You" album hidden inside a Jimi Hendrix sleeve. I think The Carpenters were great, and "Close To You" was a much more sophisticated song than it was given credit for all those 40 years ago.

More recently I have admitted to liking Pink's pop hit "So What" and Lady Gaga's entire album.

The one I haven't admitted to is today's guilty pleasure: You Belong With Me, by Taylor Swift:





No comments: