Thursday, February 17, 2005

Andrea Gillis

Steve Morse of the Boston Globe says Andrea Gillis is one of the Top 10 Acts to watch in 2005.

Morse writes:
"Don't expect a shy, retiring night of music from Andrea Gillis. 'I like the primal side,' she says. Gillis, who has been knocking people out with the power of her voice, adds, 'I like to get up there and sing from the gut and scream.'

"Gillis's all-time favorite singer is Etta James. 'Her album Etta James Rocks the House is definitely the best live record ever,' Gillis says of the 1964 recording. 'And what I like about Etta is that she also sang a lot of men's songs, by people like Otis Redding. And she also did a beautiful job on standards.'


Andrea is performing in New York City at Sin-é on Friday, February 18, 2005, during the 8pm slot. Tickets are $8.00.

Andrea is formerly the lead singer of Red Chord. Some of you have seen and/or heard her in New York, Boston or London. This is the first NYC show of Andrea's new band.

Please join Mrs. Mac and me, along with other family and friends, at Sin-é tonight.

Andrea's new CD "Want Another?" will be available at the show and you can hear some MP3 excerpts here.

Sin-é
150 Attorney St. (at E. Houston)
(212) 388-0077
info@sin-e.com

If you would like to hear a full cut from Andrea's new CD, let me know and I will send an MP3 of my current fave!

See you there!



An Andrea webpage



From the Morse article:

LENGTH OF TIME PERFORMING
Seven years professionally. Her previous band was Red Chord.

MUSICAL INFLUENCES
Etta James, Rolling Stones, various Motown artists, and Led Zeppelin.

WHO SHE THINKS SHE SOUNDS LIKE
"I've listened to her enough, so I'd have to say Etta James."

SHE'LL KNOW SHE'S MADE IT WHEN
"My grandmother knows my songs."

QUIRKY FACT ABOUT HER
"When I was 18 or 19, I'd get free cab rides because I'd sing like Billie Holiday for the drivers."



Dick Mac Recommends:

Red Chord
Wicked . . . Live @ The Abbey






No comments: